Thursday, January 21, 2010

Terry, Marilyn, James, Stanley, & Lonnie

My friend, Tom D., & I headed downtown to Stephen Ave to prayer for the city & for people in it.  It was cold, about 20*F, and most people were darting from building to building to avoid the cold, but there were some folks out having lunch, smoking cigarrettes, etc.  We had a handful of conversations with about 6-7 folks for the 1.5 hours we were there.

Terry
Terry is a homeless & handicapped person that was the first person we met.  We told him that we were out praying for the city and asked if there was anything he needed prayer for.  He said that he was hungry and would love some chicken.  So Tom & I headed to McDonald's to buy him some chicken (I know, its debatable if what they sell there is chicken!).

While there, I noticed a lady looking through a notebook with an open Bible on the table in front of her.  I said to her, "Excuse me, but I noticed that you were reading your Bible.  Are you reading any book in particular in the Bible?"  She said that she was just reading a few passages, but was really downtown praying for the city.  "Wow, what a coincidence.  We are downtown praying for people as well."  She said she just prays and if people come up to her, then she'll speak to them.  I found out her name was Marilyn, and asked her to pray for us as we go out to talk with people on the streets.  Evidently, her ministry is to pray, so I was glad to have her praying for us.

We headed back out to give Terry a meal, and asked if there was anything else we could pray for.  In all seriousness, he said that he needed some new legs.  I smiled and said, "I can see that."  We told him that we would pray for that, & ultimately our hope is in the Lord Jesus who would come back & heal this world & make everything the way it is supposed to be.  As he was busily chowing down on his McNuggets & fries, Tom said, "Let's pray," so I led us in prayer, asking God to bless him, to instill hope in Christ's future coming, & to encourage him in his struggles.  At "amen," I looked up at Terry who had removed his hat & bowed his head.

Interestingly, there was another man who had stopped about two yards away to listen to our conversation, and as we were saying goodbye to Terry, he took off.  Don't know that man's name or why he stopped to listen, but God does. 

Looking back on the situation now, I should have asked a few more directed questions, but hopefully our conversation gave him some things to think about.  I'm sure I'll see him around there again, and hopefully today's conversation & McNuggets will give us more to talk about next time.  Later, we passed by across the street from him & I hollered out, "How was the chicken?" & he responded with two thumbs up. 

My heart breaks for Terry's of Calgary & the brokenness of the city.  He is a precious person created in the image of God.  How we long for Christ's Kingdom to come in all its fullness to Calgary.  Afterwards when we were eating lunch, Tom & I talked a bit about the overwhelming needs of the city, and the importance of a network of churches and ministries that can not only minister to folks like Terry, but enfold them into a renewed communities of faith. 

We had chatted with a few more folks telling them we were out praying for the city & wanted to know if they had anything they needed prayer for.  They assured us that everything was okay, that they had everything they needed.  One man, a construction worker, told us to remember the folks in Haiti.

We had a few more conversations with some other folks like James whose brother Stanley was sick & in the hospital, & Lonnie who was new to Calgary, but hadn't eaten in a couple of days.  Tom bought him a shawarma while I stayed outside to counsel with him. 

I'll tell you about Marley & Richard in coming posts, but let me just say that getting out & talking with people & especially praying for them has an interesting effect on you.  You begin to see the city through Christ's eyes, and you long for His will to be done on earth as it is in heaven.  I'm glad that we went out today.  I just wish that Calgary was warmer!!!

-----

Mark 2:5, “And when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, My son, your sins are forgiven.”
Jesus, as you told the paralytic that his sins were forgiven, would you speak those words over Terry, James, Stanley, & Lonnie as you draw them to yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave any comments or suggestions. Anonymous posts--well, they will go where all anonymous posts go. Thanks for stopping by.