Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Jason & Camila (early 20's)

Dave E. & I headed out down to 17th Ave to do some spiritual questionnaires.   The first people we met were Jason & Camila who had been dating for about a month & a half (they had met online).

Camila was eager to do the questionnaire.  She has had some experience with different Christian churches and would call herself a Christian.   She doesn't really have a church but attends 'every once and a while.'  She described her experience as 'excited, sappy, & helpful.'

When asked what question she would ask God, Jason spoke up right away and said, "Why are there different religions in the world?   Why is there so much fighting and conflict over beliefs?"  Actually, Jason articulated his thoughts superbly.  Camila said that his question was hers as well.

She went on to state that if God asked her why He should let her into heaven, she would respond by saying, "I always want to help people.  That's just the kind of person that I am."

When asked to rate her goodness on a scale of 1-10, she would put herself at about a 6.   I gave her the booklet, "How Good Are You" and told her that it asks the same question and that most people would put themselves at a 6-7.  I told her that it also had a test in it to see how good she was.

"Oh, I'd go to hell," she responded.

"Why would you say that?" I asked.

"Because I've done some bad things that I regret," she said soberly.

"Well, the test in this booklet looks at the 10 Commandments."  We walked through several of them, and she admitted to breaking them.  I told her that I have too.  "Now if God were to judge you according to the 10 Commandments, would he find you guilty of breaking them or innocent?"

She looked at the list and said, "Guilty."

I explained that the Scriptures teach that God must judge, that we store up wrath every time we sin, and that the final judgment is hell.  "If God is a good judge and just, would He send you to heaven or hell?"

"I believe he would send me to heaven," she responded, "because God is forgiving."

"Yes, he is a forgiving God, but let me ask you a question:  If you stole a car and crashed it, completely totaling it, and you appeared before a judge and you said that you believed that he should let you off the hook because he is a forgiving judge, would he be just if he let you go?"

"But doesn't He forgive?  I mean, I've done a lot of good things.  I try to help people."

"Do you know what God had done so that he can forgive?"

"No."

"He became a person, Jesus Christ, and lived the perfect life that we are called to live.  If you were to compare his life to the 10 Commandments, he kept them perfectly.  He also died for people like us, the righteous for the unrighteous."  I explained this a bit more.

I showed her a sample prayer, and asked if that expressed the desire of her heart.

"I'm not sure," she said honestly.   Jason was deep in thought.

"Well, think on these things.  Read this booklet together, and consider what it is saying, would you?"

"Yes."

I thanked them for their kindness in talking with us, shook their hands, but then Camila & Jason kept asking more questions.   So Dave began talking with Jason, and I with Camila.

They both said that they wanted to find a church, so we told them about New City Church.   They said that they would check out the webpage, and might come by.   They thanked us for talking with them, and again Camila said she'd like to come visit our church.

"We would be honored to have you come visit."  I then asked Camila if she had a Bible, and she said, "Yes, and No."  I laughed explaining that I didn't understand.  She said that it was in Spanish, and she wanted to have one in English.  So I gave her a copy of "The Essential Jesus" (the Gospel of Luke).  And she asked more questions about New City Church.   I gave her my number & email, and told them to call me if they have any questions, or would like to talk more about these sorts of things.

Much more was said in this 30 minute conversation, but this is the gist of it.   Please pray for Camila & Jason, two young folks with some exposure to Christianity, whom I think the Lord is pursuing.  I'm thankful for our conversation.

-----

John 6:44:  “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.”
Father, in the name of Jesus, I plead with you to draw Camila to Jesus Christ in true faith and repentance.
 1 John 5:11, “And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.”
God, would you give the eternal life that is in Your Son to Jason?   

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave any comments or suggestions. Anonymous posts--well, they will go where all anonymous posts go. Thanks for stopping by.