Friday, August 5, 2011

Pontien (late 50s)

Pontien [PON-tee-in] was a nice fellow with a great smile from the Congo.   He was out for a walk and Dave E. & I caught up with him to ask him some questions.   Pontien didn't speak English very well, and had a hard time understanding us so we had to repeat our questions a couple of times.

He said that he had a Catholic background which he would describe as good, social, & happy.  If he could ask God one question, he said it would be "to assist me."

We asked the clarifying question, "...to assist with _____ ?"

He answered, "To assist me in life...in whatever I ask."

If God were to ask him, "Why should I let you into heaven?" Pontien would respond, "Because I've done what he asked me to do."  Pontien ranked his goodness at a 9 on a scale of 1-10.

The language barrier was difficult for all of us, so we left him with the booklet explaining Christianity, for which he was thankful and said he would read it when he got home.

-----

Acts 10:43, “To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives the forgiveness of sins through his name.” 
Spirit, enable Pontien to see his need for forgiveness and believe in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave any comments or suggestions. Anonymous posts--well, they will go where all anonymous posts go. Thanks for stopping by.